Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Monthly Ticker

No, this isn't related to menstruation.

You'll see in my sidebar the new section "Tally Ho!" This is me holding myself accountable; it's like a congratulation/flagellation machine in which I keep track of the important work and play I've done or not done throughout the month: books I'm reading or have read (for the diss and for pleasure), diss pages written (as of May 1, a big zero, but that's why I'm slogging through Distinction and The Culture Industry; it takes books to grow a dissertation), miles ridden on the road bike (also as of May 1, also a big zero, but you'll see that number grow). Just a semi-public way to keep myself honest and motivated (or demoralized, depending on the numbers).

On a completely unrelated subject, I love Stephen Colbert. Anyone who can bring out Laura Bush's Death Stare at a highly public event is doing something right. His performance at Saturday's White House Press Correspondent's Dinner was, to quote Jon Stewart, "balls-o-licious." There's been great coverage on the lack of mainstream coverage of his speech - check it out at Editor & Publisher, Slate, and Salon.com; read the transcript; watch the video (you can get it at Crooks & Liars, among other places). Kudos to Helen Thomas for her part in the fun.

No comments: