Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Fun Weekend

It started as a very good weekend. Friday night I got together with my friends H & J, who just moved out here from Chicago. We saw the Parks plays, spotted a celebrity (Katherine Helmond, the woman who played Mona the grandmother on "Who's the Boss?") and then went to Cat & Fiddle, a fun little spot on Sunset. Saturday night my sugar and I went to a potluck at H & M's (my other friends I met in Chicago) cute little house in Echo Park and got to meet some more cool people.

Now it's Saturday night, 2:00 am and I wake up. Here's me:

Why am I awake? Why am I boiling hot? (Kicking off the covers). Oh wait, I'm not boiling hot, I'm freezing cold! (Pulling the covers back on). Hot, cold, hot, cold. This sucks! My stomach feels gross. Maybe I should drink some water. And brush my teeth. (Drinks water, brushes teeth, paces a bit in discomfort, gets back in bed). Oh my god, I'm going to hurl! (Races to the bathroom, just making it to the toilet).

So yeah, a big toilet full of puke. This was not I-drank-too-much puke, either. That I can deal with with just a simple "What were you thinking?" and a touch of remorse. No, this was stomach flu puke, and it sucked, especially because stomach flu puke makes me cry and shake. I woke up my honey and made him hold me and generally annoyed him through the rest of the night. The rest of the night where I couldn't fall asleep for more than an hour or two.

That was how Sunday went, then. Little snippets of sleep, tender tummy, headache, general misery, me feeling way too sorry for myself, hot, cold, hot, cold, flat 7-Up, water, jello, and one can of soup that I forced myself to eat. And then around 2:00 am, the fun starts again. I'm pouring myself a glass of 7-Up and have to run to the bathroom. Good-bye, Chunky Chicken Noodle.

The good news is that I've kept down saltines and water and 7-Up today and generally feel better. Plus we went for a walk and I did pretty well, and once we got home, I was able to fall asleep for a good 12 hours. Which is why it's nearly 3:00 am and I'm posting and am hoping to get back to my friend the dissertation.

No comments: