Friday, January 05, 2007

It's Happening

For New Year's Eve, my honey and I drove down to San Diego. We got off the 5 to get gas and decided to take the old 101 through lots of small beach towns, driving south with the ocean immediately to our right. It was a really awesome diversion.

We got to our hotel on Harbor Island (a.k.a. the airport, but a randomly picturesque and peaceful airport at that), which we had hotwired for cheap; our room was in a unattached side tower not anywhere near the main hotel, which was great because the main hotel was full of people in fancy hoochie dresses ready to ring in 2007 at the Airport Sheraton. That is to say, not our kind of people. After smuggling our contraband booze into the room (no outside alcohol allowed), we pretty much holed up inside, drinking, talking, relaxing. At midnight, we popped the champagne and watched the fireworks over the harbor from our patio. We screamed "Happy New Year" into the night, and people we couldn't see who were standing on their balconies watching the fireworks screamed back. It was perfect.

The next day, we dallied in San Diego for a bit, walking along the harbor and strolling through Balboa Park before heading back to LA, up the coast on the 101 again until we had to get back on the 5.

On the way back into the city, my honey asleep beside me as I drove in the early evening, I saw the downtown skyline (a beautiful skyline) and thought, "We're home."

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Sounds amazing!

Right now, there's a low bar for amazing though-- I think it'd be amazing if I could fit into my shoes.