Saturday, February 03, 2007

February Starts with a Musical Bang

I've been missmusicclub this month (all two days of it). On Thursday, my honey and I reunited with our past (sordid as it is) by seeing Mike Dillon's GoGo Jungle. Dillon, the former front man from one of our college era's favorite college bands (do you follow me?), Billy Goat, is now a punk rock vibraphonist. And if you don't know what a punk rock vibraphonist is, so much the sorrier is your life.

Last night, after burgers with friends at the tres chic Hotel Roosevelt, my honey and I went to the Hotel Cafe to see my new favorite singer/songwriter Jim Bianco. I really appreciated the tightness of the ensemble and the complex originality of the music. But I also must admit that I'd go down like a sucker for any band that features dark, sexy lyrics; a clarinet/trumpet/accordion/piano playing multi-instrumentalist who also sings harmony; and a guitar player who looks like Michael Palin performing completely unironically as an 80s icon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike Dillon's Go-Go Jungle...all the better is my life for having their music in it.